The beginning of something has significance, and what happens in the sky relates to what happens on Earth. The process of individuation comes down to working with the personal planets, moving through the trends of the social planets, bridging over through Chiron, and coming to integration at the transpersonal level. Understanding these dynamic energies, as demonstrated through the ever-changing cosmic weather, allows a greater ability to live connected to purpose and meaning.
The Sun is the Invincible Spirit. So great is this universal wonder that it must come in small doses, distributed as it travels around the Zodiac over the course of a year. The Sun's position symbolizes the active presence of the Divine. The Autumnal Equinox occurs on Friday September 22, 2017 at 4:02 PM EDT. The Sun's movement into Libra creates the perfect balance of equal day and night. for the next month, we get to experience what it means to be engulfed in the qualities of harmony, peace, beauty and sociability, and also what it means when those qualities are offset by extremes. The Sun moves into Scorpio on Monday October 23, 2017 at 1:27 AM EDT. Then we dive deep, with high sensitivity.
The New Moon teaches gradualness and deliberation, and how to give birth to oneself slowly. Patience with small details makes perfect the large work, like the universe. --J. Rumi
The Moon is the Receiver. As the Sun energizes her, she receives and moves through her angular relationship with him over the course of the month. She delights in shape-shifting. She delights in the repetitive ebb and flow from night to day, from New to Full in predictable sequence. She delights in being able to portray the Sun's invincible spirit through her silver light. We see this dance every month, beginning at the New Moon, timed for the Moon's alignment with the Sun. This month's New Moon occurred on Thursday October 19, 2017 at 3:12 PM at 26 Libra 35. This is the time to consider your feelings about the relationships in your life. This Moon cycle is a strong one, with Mars and Venus on one side of the Sun-Moon conjunction, and Jupiter and Mercury at the other. The six body strength is opposed to Uranus, and Uranus clicks into a grand fire trine with Saturn and the North Node, and the still active Solar Eclipse point from August. You may find yourself in psychic water with this one, where you will meet surprises and karmic residuals. Instead of drowning, you can use the vibrant creative energy to find new ways of looking at what you are faced with.
THE ECLIPSE SEASON 2017 (1st Quarter and 3rd Quarter of the Year) Keep these degrees in mind, as they will resonate throughout the year.
- February 10, 2017 Penumbral Lunar Eclipse at 22 + Leo. By the light of the full moon (the Snow Moon), there is emotional awareness that can be shocking, disturbing, or feel like a shake-out. The goal here is to release what no longer works. There is resonance for the next 8 months, with a "touch off" in early October, 2017.
- February 26, 2017 Annular Solar Eclipse at 8 + Pisces. With this supercharged new Moon, issues from November of 2016 are still smoldering, providing a catalyst or "dharma boost" for your process. These February degrees are reverberating as we move closer to the August degrees.
- August 7, 2017 Partial Lunar Eclipse at 15 + Aquarius. Awareness comes again with the light of this full moon (the Red/Sturgeon Moon). There is resonance through the end of the year, with a "touch off" in late December.
- August 21, 2017 Total Solar Eclipse at 28 + Leo. This is a big one, called the Great American Eclipse, because the path cuts across the US soil. (See my Dell Horoscope article, Chasing the Shadow, January, 2015). Watch the events of May, 2017, as clues to the significance of this event, linking the cosmos and the earth in a most visible and experiential way. Though clearly relevant on the personal level, if the degrees are significant, this one has a country-wide impact as well. The "zeitgeist" has been in the air for the last 3 years.
Eclipse energies ebb and flow. They remain active and sensitive months before or months after. If you have planetary placements at the degrees, you can expect some reverberations.
- October 8-20, 2017: The February 10, 2017 Lunar Eclipse degree of 22 + Leo will reverberate.
- November 18-23, 2017: Watch as the stage is set for the 3rd Solar Eclipse of 2018, scheduled for August 11, 2018 at 18 + Leo.
- December 18, 2017- January 14, 2018: The August 7, 2017 Lunar Eclipse degree of 15 + Aquarius will reverberate.
Mercury has 3-4 Retrograde (Rx) cycles every year, each lasting approximately 3 weeks, and each offering a period of reflection, recalibration, revision, and resolution, as Mercury and the Sun exchange the message of a particular degree of the Zodiac. Mercury, the trickster, is now Direct, racing through the sign of Scorpio, through mid November. Here he is peregrine, and a bit of a wanderer. He will move into Sagittarius on November 6, still not at his best.
The Venus cycle is complex and mysterious, beginning while Retrograde as an Evening Star, moving through conjunctions with the Sun, and shifting from Evening Star to Morning Star, and back. When a brilliant Evening Star--calm, mature, settled, and knowing her brilliance is best seen outside the clutch of the Sun--she begins her new cycle. The current Venus Cycle began on March 5, 2017 at 13+ Aries, and runs through October 5, 2018. This start degree is one to watch for the entire cycle, when contacted by other planets. Transiting Venus is currently a Direct Morning Star, and has passed this sensitive degree. In this phase of her cycle, she is rushing into love and life for 9 months (April-January). She has entered the sign of Libra, where she will travel through early November, when she shifts into Scorpio. On January 9, 2018, she will make the Superior Conjunction with the Sun and disappear for 2 months. Then she will reemerge as an Evening Star to shine brilliantly for 7 months, before turning Rx again.
Mars is at the end of Virgo, moving into Libra on October 23. On the surface harmonies may be laced with residual anger.
Jupiter is Direct, closing out his great relational work in the sign of Libra for the last year. Jupiter has moved into Scorpio. The mood is downshifting for a plunge into the depths to find and acknowledge passions that are swimming like little minnows or Great Whites, to provide more opportunity for growth and evolution. With Mercury, Mars,Venus and the Lights nearby everything can feel exaggerated. Watch the self-talk and make it deep, meaningful, and positive.
Saturn has been in Sagittarius since December, 2014 and remains there until December, 2017, eager to build the strong structural base, by keeping everyone in line. This is need for spiritual work, but also for the global social witnessing currently underway. Saturn, hovering at the Galactic Center, is Direct and building momentum to collect on the last minute karmic debts. The Galactic Center is full of wonder. Connect to all that can be accessed. Saturn will move into his own sign of Capricorn on December 21, 2017. Saturn takes all prisoners, if need be. The themes from the last three years are ready for integration: groundedness/freedom; diversity/insularity; inclusion/exclusion; broadening/shrinking, to name a few.
URANUS, NEPTUNE, PLUTO, and the NORTH NODE: Twists and Turns
The outer planets represent the Transpersonal Realm. The twists and turns of these bodies facilitate our evolution. Uranus turned Retrograde at 28 + Aries on August 3 and will turn Direct at 24+ in early January, 2018. Uranus is currently at 26 + Aries Rx. Neptune turned Retrograde at 14 + Pisces on June 17, and will turn Direct at 11 + on November 22, 2017. Neptune is currently at 11 + Pisces Rx. Pluto has turned Direct and stands at 16+ Capricorn. The Cardinal Square's reconstruction challenges between Uranus and Pluto (June, 2012-March, 2015) and the opposition between Uranus and Jupiter (December, 2016-end of September, 2017) have been facilitating integration with the release of entrenched, enmeshed patterns. Surprise wakening factors have been at play. There is the ever constant need for grounded presence of mind, as challenges abound in the evolutionary spin cycle. The North Node aligned with the Sun and Moon for the Solar Eclipse in August, and continues its Rx motion through the sign of Leo. North Node is currently at 22 + degrees.